Monday, January 9, 2012

Harlem's Fashion Row





 
"I had never loved anything the way I loved planning Harlem’s Fashion Row." Those are words spoken by Brandice N. Henderson, CEO/Founder of Harlem's Fashion Row. Harlem's Fashion Row began in 2007 as an idea to host a fashion show in Harlem, NY. Little did Brandice know that her idea would take off to become the fashion art exhibition of Harlem that has showcased collections of designers of color and begin a movement. Since 2007's success, Harlem's Fashion Row, or HFR, has continued its reign with shows in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

 On January 7, 2012, Harlem came to Memphis,TN. HFR revolutionized the fashion scene by portraying it as art, and downtown Memphis was the runway. Memphis is the first city other than Harlem where this show has been exhibited. While there of course was plenty of fashion, as I have shared before fashion is a lifestyle. Attendees were sure to leave inspired, not only about the story of HFR and Memphis native, Brandice, but with a better understanding of what fashion truly represents. For HFR, fashion is an art form and a connect to a diverse and historic culture.  Brandice and HFR accomplished their goals and then some.

Prior to the show, I did a little research on the previous year's events and was really excited about a show of this magnitude happening in Memphis. When I first walked in, I did not know what to expect. There were so many eye opening exhibits that it was almost hard to decide which direction I wanted to explore first. Each room in the art gallery represented a different year for Harlem's Fashion Row, which added the creative touch for guests to actually visualize HFR's inspirations from previous years. There was art, still life models, and of course a runway show, that brought together designers from both Memphis and Harlem portraying the collaboration of art with fashion. I left amazed and even got a chance to meet Brandice and share how much I enjoyed the show.

 This was definitely an inspiration to me and my own goals living the fashion lifestyle. I can say that I learned quite a bit about Harlem's Fashion Row and their goals. I am even happier that this opportunity was made available to Memphis and other fashion lovers like me. HFR is currently exploring the possibility of showcasing this exhibition in more cities. So, if you missed this year, be sure to keep up with their current events by visiting www.harlemsfashionrow.com . As always enjoy and stay FRESH !!!!

1 comment:

  1. This was a great event and a great post! Keep up the good work Connoisseur of Fresh!

    ReplyDelete