Thursday, January 5, 2012

A City in Motion




 
2012 marks a new year and another season of new beginnings, continuing goals and opportunity for change. However, one thing I would not change are the years I have been blessed with that have allowed me to be who I am and help guide where I plan to go forward into a new year and beyond.

It is often said that home is where the heart is, but the environments that some of us come from are thought to reflect the future paths we will travel down. I believe that it doesn't matter where you are from, but the direction that you are headed that is important. I was born and raised in Memphis,TN. Like many of today's youth in Memphis, I have encountered dealings with crime, drugs, and even gangs. There have been many obstacles and hurdles I have had to overcome to become the man I strive to be today. The current generation of our youth deal with some of these same situations, in some cases, more serious, more frequent, and more negative. As leaders of today, it is our responsibility to open the doors we have had the opportunity to walk through to allow more youth to prosper. And like so many opportunities, they come and go just as quickly as they are presented, so the time is now to take advantage of them.

But, how do we do this? We must bridge the gap between generations and work together towards a common goal, a positive direction and prosperous future. I was fortunate enough to meet Mayor AC Wharton, current leader of the City of Memphis. His belief is that Memphis can be a "city of choice" for people, families, and businesses of all kinds.  His vision is to align civic, commercial, and political leaders to move our economy forward and improve the quality of life for all residents. With the great leadership of Mayor Wharton and motivated people like us, I believe this city can change for the better. Yes, there is more work to be done, but a wise man once told me "never look at the caterpillar, but try to imagine the butterfly." We as people have to take more responsibility of our actions, but more importantly take action. No matter what you do, someone is always paying attention, so make sure that you are doing something worth looking at. Stand for something more than just the perceptions of what people may think. Have heart and take pride in your hometown rather than voice negative opinions about it. Embrace change, whether it be at the start of a new year or just because it is time for a change. Many people may have the will to win, but very few have the determination to win. I plan to win in 2012 and hope you do as well. As always, enjoy and stay FRESH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment