Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fresh Feature (Scotti Fife)


Meet Memphis native, Scotti Fife, who has come into his own as a choreographer and dancer. Not only has he created a unique cutting edge choreography for several dance groups in the Memphis area, but he contributes his time to the youth as a teacher and role model. Fife was recently featured in the Memphis Flyer where the local publication highlighted Fife and his views of his work. According to Fife, his work has molded him both physically and mentally to become the dancer he is today. When you hear someone say that their work is their life, this is an instance where it is truly sincere. On average, Fife dances and teaches professionally a minimum of six days a week. His teaching credits include being a ballet instructor for grades 6 – 9 at KIPP Memphis, a choreographer and instructor at Memphis Pointe Gymnastics, choreographer for Bridging Souls Productions, company hip-hop choreographer for Studio 413, and choreographer/instructor for Hybrid Performance Group. In addition to providing his expertise in dance to these companies, Fife provides personal training, artist development and artist choreography in the areas of strength, hip hop, ballet, modern dance and freestyle mechanics. In his spare time, Fife enjoys speaking to the public about his dance and hopes to inspire others to love and execute the art as he does. Every once in a while you may see Fife dancing at your local night spot. I had the pleasure of speaking with Fife to learn a little more about him and his FRESH lifestyle. You too can be fresh like Fife in the "I'm From Memphis" tee provided by Brand Name Clothing in one of his recent photo shoots. Also, check out the video of Fife showing off his cool dance moves below. For more information regarding Scotti Fife’s performance schedule or services, please contact fifegotem@gmail.com. As always enjoy and stay FRESH!!



COF- How did you get started in dance?

SF- Honestly, I was convinced by a friend to just "try it out" during my freshman year of college. If i had any idea how much work went into dance, I would have never done it. But on the same token, I would never have learned how rewarding it could be. Basically, taking chances are the only way you can unlock the secrets of your heart.

COF- What motivates you to dance?

SF- Man, personally this form of art is the only way I have ever been able to truly express myself-- be it something funny, or painful feelings, or sheer honest happiness. I am always at a loss of words, but when I make a track with those feelings in mind and then dance to that track-- it speaks volumes.

COF- What do you like most about being from Memphis?

SF- This hometown is in my bones. Everything I do has been seasoned with M-town flavor-- a hint of South Memphis, or the corner of South Parkway and Barksdale. It's in everything and if I had the time to go through all of my work, I could point out exactly when and where the flavor could be found. Be it ballet, hip-hop, modern or my strange improve style, its still in it, just like its in me.

COF- What advice would you give anyone who wants to persue a career in dance?

SF- The key is to get as much done as possible without wasting time. Take as many chances as possible. My father (a conservative accountant of 30+ years) always says "go with your gut." It will never guide you wrong. I could be anything from what country to move to or what song to teach to-- GO WITH YOUR GUT!

COF- What makes you FRESH?

SF- My ability to shock and amaze in sound!










        

No comments:

Post a Comment